Question: Embarrassing Question About Aging Father

ilikecows13 - Fri May 11, 2007 3:43 pm

My dad is 60 years old this year. Three times in the last 3 months, I've had to rush out to bring him new clothes because he's had an 'accident' (of the #2 variety). His job is extremely stressful and he's constantly under pressure. However... he's had the same job for 20 years now and has never had this problem except for the last 5 years or so. It seems to be getting MUCH worse over time. He tells us he has talked to his doctor about it, but his doctor is just saying it's part of 'getting older'. I feel that this is a little bit too casual of such an embarrassing problem. He has never had a surgery of any kind. His father (my grandfather) actually died of complications due to colon cancer a couple of years ago. He is not currently on any medications. Thank you so much for your help. This is difficult for me to put out there, but I don't think I can talk to my dad's doctor for him.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 pm

User avatar There are several things that can produce such a problem. Often, there is some nerve damage that may have resulted from a condition such as long standing diabetes, spinal cord trauma, or other degenerative nerve diseases.

You may want to have your father see a GI specialist to have some testing of the colon muscles/nerve functionality to see if there are any deficits. The GI specialist will also be able to recommend appropriate treatment.

|