News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Problems with bowel movements and urinating

Poda - Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi. Please read carefully, as this has some real specific details. I've had problems with bowel movements and urinating for 2 years now. I had 2 colonoscopies, abdominal/pelvic ct, and man urological tests, but nothing has found anything. The symptoms are rather strange. Let me explain. When I'm say laying down on my side, my butt and almost like inside my rectal area has this constant intense pressure. It's as if someone is taking a vacuum hose and trying to suck something out of it. It's basically there all the time. When sitting, it's less of that but more of a pain in general like the inner buttocks and tailbone and stuff like that. The strange thing is when I have to use the bathroom, it seems very difficult, like something is impeding it. A weird thing is when I stand up, sometimes it seems suddenly like I have to use the bathroom again after I was just sitting. So, I'm thinking position has something to do with it. But, another strange thing is when I'm standing I have this constant feeling of like twisting or pinching in what appears to be my lower urethral or perineal/rectal area, with a constant pain that seems to run along my penis into the the "tip" of it. Sometimes, before bowel movements it seems, my scrotal and penis area are like real stiff and like seem to be being pushed and forced to sit higher at an angle, almost like something is pushing them from behind or something. All in all, this is causing a lot of problems and noone knows the cause. Does it sound like a hernia could be possible? I really am thinking it could be, but I'm not sure what to tell my doctor to do to look beyond physical exam. I want to do something I read about called a herniogram.

What do you docs think?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:33 am

User avatar A hernia is possible. Basically the best way to check for this is by physical examination. The hernia can be palpated manually by your doctor. If there is still suspicion, imaging studies can be done.

Another possibility would be constipation causing some compression of your bladder and urethra. If your bowel movements are regular and soft this is less likely.

A third possibility would be a variation of irritable bowel syndrome.

I would recommend seeing your doctor for an evaluation since hernias can sometimes have complications if not repaired.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here