News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Vomitting & diarrhea immediately from eating anything

darkestdays30 - Wed May 16, 2007 2:24 am

What would cause someone to have a bowel movement within 1-2 minutes after eating food or vomit immediately after swallowing food?

I didn't eat anything yesterday but 1/2 pepperoni roll as I was too sick at my stomach to want anything. Earlier I had 3 spoonfuls of vanilla pudding and immediately went to the bathroom with diarrhea followed by 2 more times after trying to eat a little more, (bowels were watery yellow stools with discharge or mucus). Then I ingested about 6 pieces of corn to see if I could figure out how fast my transit time is, since corn doesn't digest. Immediately after swallowing it, I felt the urge to vomit. Within 1 minute, I puked 4 times & had diarrhea again.

I've had this happen to me last month too & I had blood in my stools. Nothing wrong showed up on the colonoscopy. The diarrhea did not occur unless I ate something, same as it is doing now.

What would cause me to react in such a way to food? It's any food, not anything in particular.

If this may indicate anything, my cholesterol was recently checked and this was abnormal: cholesterol 200, LDL 156, HDL 26. Triglycerides were normal.
 darkestdays30 - Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 am

I have Barrett's Esophagus. Could these symptoms be indicating cancer? I just read in a website that stomach cancer causes an inability to properly digest foods which is the problem I am having right now. Where I have had some blood in my bowels occasionally, how likely could this be?

First time I noticed this, my stools were black for 3 days. A month later, I had red blood mixed in my stools with rapid transit immediately from eating, (saw the blood all throughout that day), the third time I saw this, I had woke up during the night & saw it twice, rapid transit recurred. Today, I am not bleeding from my bowels but am having the inability to digest foods again.
 darkestdays30 - Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I had a gastroscopy done yesterday & found out I am bleeding from my upper GI tract, waiting on the results right now to find out why. But I have one other question. If the Barrett's hasn't turned into cancer, can something like Gerd cause malabsorption problems? These symptoms (diarrhea, bleeding, & vomitting when I try to eat) usually only affect me if I try to eat during the night or morning hours. Though I go all day/night without eating sometimes because of the nausea & pain I have from Gerd. The only thing that makes a huge difference is if I don't eat at all for days straight. For some reason, all foods make my Gerd worse. Makes it kind of hard for it to get any better.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here