Question: Im NOT Anorexic

rachael1982 - Thu May 17, 2007 3:09 pm

I am a 25 yo female, my problems all started with rapid hair loss , weight loss, loss of my menstrual cycle. I used to weigh 124 lbs 2 years ago now i weigh about 90 lbs i am 5 foot 2 inches and very skinny. My appetite is very stong i eat all day. I started having arrythmia diagnosed with a holter monitor. Svt with a short pr, with low blood pressure. If i don't eat every 2 hours i will feel very ill. With in these past 2 years i have have so many things wrong with me its hard to manage them all. I was hospitalized with a partial bowel obstruction with a wbc of 1700 they almost did emergency surgery because it was bad i went into shock and couldnt stop screeming. When discharged i still saw the surgeon even though i didnt have surgery. He ordered a gallbladder test where they put die into me and had it contract that was fine. He order a upper gi with a small bowel follow thru, that was fine, he then sent me to the gastrointerologist where he looked at my ct and since my colon was mainly affect he ordered a colonoscapy which was normal. I have black stools that float with constipation the it will be a couple days of diahreah. My stool looks like there is skin on it. Never a normal bowel movement i have alot of gas and my stomach swells when i eat. I get the same sharp pain in my upper middle stomach like when i was hospitalized all the time. Recently 4 months or so ago i got asthma some how so now i deal with that as well. Most off all i can not gain weight i have acne all of the sudden to. I feel like i am getting no where my dr knows that there is something wrong with me and runs a battery of blood work all the time and theres nothing wrong with me. I also had a problem with trigeminal neuralgia which was painfull. My hands and face swells at night and my gyno ran test on my prolactin levels and all of that and there fine. I recently saw my medical notes from my drs office and he says that something is wrong with me but it i anerxia and i don't understand that because i eat all day and i cant convince him otherwise. He admits there is a problem but that its anerxia. Just recently he wrote in his notes that he will run a future test for celiacs disease. Im tired of having all of theres issues and i am convinced that it has something to do with my bowel because i eat and cant gain weight. I cant get my dr to listen and i don't have any anwers could celiac be possible?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 12:40 pm

User avatar Celiac disease is possible, though this would be a fairly severe course for it. It is much more common than we previously thought. Now it is thought to be upwards of 1 in 100 people will have celiac disease. Testing involves a simple blood test.

You should also be tested for hyperthyroidism. It is possible that all you symptoms could be explained by this.

I suspect that your menstrual cessation is due to your rapid weight loss. The big question is what is causing the weight loss.

You may need to have an upper endoscopy done to assess the stomach and upper small intestine as well.

As an aside, anorexia is a general term for lack of appetite. Anorexia Nervosa is the eating disorder. It may be that your doctor was using the general term anorexia, although it doesn't sound as if your appetite is gone.

I would recommend continued follow up with a GI specialist as well.

|