News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: severe bowel/back pain sweating

pip - Fri May 18, 2007 1:24 pm

I am a 59 yr old female with a history of C section and total hysterectomy and fibromyalgia. For 4 years I have had severe nerve pain over my hip and abdomen from suspected nerve entrapment at T12 for which I take oxycodone every 3 hours. MRI also shows ver y slight damage at L5 but not thought to cause problems. About a year ago I started getting severe bowel urgency with cold clammy sweats and fainting. It has now got so bad that I wake up with agonizing low back pain with a pulsing sensation in my lower abdomen but no abdominal pain. (Scans show no aneurysm). As soon as I move I get dreadful gas which goes on for at least 5 minutes and instantly I pour sweat from my face, head, neck and upper back. It drips off my nose and eyes and my glasses steam up. The sweating lasts about 15 minutes then I get awful bowel urgency which can go on for 5 hours and up to 12 trips to the toilet. The low back pain continues right through this until I have finished going to the toilet and feel totally washed out. The sweating is very distressing. My GP suggested an inflammation of the bowel and put me on prednisolone but sigmoidoscopy and barium enema are clear. The endoscope wouldn't go past the distal sigmoid colon and adhesions were suggested but no more than that.
I am now desperate; I can't take any more pain and am spending hours curled up on the bathroom floor.Stools are formed and soft but not diarrhea. I daren't leave the house and can't plan anything. I've lived with the nerve pain but this low back pain is scaring me especially now the sweating has started.. Could this be adhesions of the rectum ( I have a mild bladder prolapse) or some sort of autonomic neuropathy after so many years with a trapped nerve?
 pip - Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 am

Please can anyone reply.
This has been going on for 3 1/2 years now, has reduced me to using a wheelchair and most days being totally unable to leave the house. I can't bear any more. I've now been sent to a gynaecologist; just the same as 3 years ago but it will be months before I see her.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here