News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Severe Adominal Pain

Dolphin45n - Tue May 29, 2007 9:48 pm

I am a 22 year old woman who has been diganosised with chronic pancreatitis. It has been an on going fight for four years now and no doctors know why. I have had my gallbladder and appendix removed. I have had all kinds of Endoscopy procedures done and nothing to explain my pancreatitis attacks. I have seen just about every gastro doctor in the state of GA and have no results. I was recently dignosised with constipation and was told to use an enema, when I did, I have severe adominal pain near my belly button. I am not too sure if I might have a bowel obstruction. The doctor at the Emergency room told me that there was a massive size lump near my stomach and that it was constipation and to go home and use an emema. I am still in pain and not too sure what to do. Could this constipation be coming from my long time pancreatitis? Or could it be that since I have been constipated for about a month now have a bowel obstruction? I have read that constant fecal compaction can cause bowel obstructions.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 29, 2007 9:59 pm

User avatar Chronic constipation can cause bowel obstruction symptoms and can be quite painful. In addition to the enemas you may need to take something by mouth to treat the constipation from above and below.

Regarding your pancreatitis, have you been tested for cystic fibrosis? Mild cystic fibrosis could potentially cause chronic constipation without many other effects. It would be rare but worth testing for.

Other potential causes include most commonly alcoholism, and a narrowed pancreatic duct. To test the second, some places can do pressure measurements of the pancreatic duct. This is a quite specialized procedure and many places don't have the capability to do this so it may not be possible.

Otherwise, the other common category for chronic pancreatitis is idiopathic, meaning we don't know what causes it unfortunately.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes.
 Dolphin45n - Tue May 29, 2007 10:36 pm

Well I just gad an ERCP done and was told that my common bile duct from my gallbladder was spacmatic so he made a 4mm cut to see if that would improve the pancreatitis attacks. So far so good but it has also only been 5 days too. He said that my ducts to my pancreas looked good for a 22 year old. I did want to reply to let you know that I do appreciate your opinions and I will certainly have my doctor test me for cystic fibrosis.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 30, 2007 4:55 pm

User avatar Thanks for the update. I hope this procedure helps you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here