Question: Large Poop

robcynt - Wed May 30, 2007 5:11 pm

My eight year old granddaughter has extremely large one piece poop. It is about a foot long and 1.5 inches in diameter. It is also very foul. She says it does not hurt but I have never seen any thing like this. Could there be something wrong. She goes about every second day, and it is not hard. Thanks for any advice.
 Marceline F, RN - Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:21 am

User avatar Dear Robcynt,
I gather from your post that you are somewhat concerned about your granddaughter's bowel movement. Everybody is unique when it comes to bowel motility and peristalsis (the action of propulsion of food from the time it is swallowed until it is evacuated from the system via the rectum.) There are various factors that can differ from individual to individual, including the amount of fluid we consume (to lubricate and soften) to how much fiber we consume, to the activity we generate throughout the day. I would hazard a guess that your grandchild is very active - and probably eats and drinks well. A stool such as you describe may be adequate for her. A foul odor may simply be the result of which food she has chosen to eat - much like gaseous foods like broccoli, and for some people: milk, can cause flatulence - which can be very foul.
If you have any serious concern, I suggest you relay this to the child's pediatritian and ask if any intervention is needed.

|