News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Painful Gallbladder Sludge?

sgtrockb - Wed May 30, 2007 9:58 pm

I'm a 48 year old white male, 508/160. I have a regular workout routine and consider myself in good shape.

My blood, however, is not. My cholesterol is <200, but my ratios are way off and my triglicerides are really high.

A couple months ago, I was diagnosed with gallbladder sludge, with an ejection rate right at borderline. I opted to keep my beloved gallbladder.

Three weeks ago I started a spell of really not feeling well. I had to lie down after work and went to bed early. I started getting night sweats where I would wake up feeling like my insides were vibrating. I also started feeling a constant dull aching pain right between my shoulder blades. The pain was around a 3 on a daily basis. During that weekend I woke up at 2:00 with back pain, chest fullness, night sweats, so decided to visit my local ER.

They took chest X-rays, CAT scan and ran a treadmill test. The hospital doc said I was fine and let me go the next day. From what I overheard from the nurses, I peaked heartrate at 9:30 and was running some minor but noticeable ST depressions at max heart rate.

Since that time I've visited my primary doc twice with possible GERD, fatigue and night sweats. He put me on Prevacid and Advicor.

I've been taking them for several days and I still feel weak and poorly. My gall bladder is acting up and painful.

I've got a referral to a Gastro doc, but that's probably next week some time.

Pancreatitis? Gall bladder? what fits these symptoms?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:16 am

User avatar Hi sgtrockb,
"Gallbladder sludge" of course you probably already know essentially means you have gallbladder dysfunction. That will cause abdominal pain/discomfort which may radiate up to the shoulder. It can also cause a general unwell feeling. However, to my knowledge although not impossible, nightsweats associated with gallbladder dysfunction, is not a typical complaint. Pancreatitis may be indicated if certain abnormalities exist in labwork, for example,(ALT, AST elevations, etc.) and causes significant abdominal pain. A follow up with the Gastroenterologist is certainly warranted.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here