Question: Celiac Disease Testing

cmbajb - Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:29 pm

I am a 45 year old female. I am panhypopituitary, have chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, Sjogren's, Raynauds and IBS. Because of recent hand/foot cramping, 6x bowel movements a day, nausea, dizziness...I tried going gluten free. Felt better within days. Went to the doc, who did blood testing and upper GI biopsies. However, all these tests were done after I had been gluten-free for 4 weeks. Tests have come back negative. Was testing done incorrectly (doc may not have wanted me back on gluten because it would impact me so hard, with my other medical conditions)? Other test possibilities? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:00 pm

User avatar The endoscopy and biopsies of the intestine may have been falsely negative. If the offending gluten is no longer there the intestine heals.

The blood tests look for antibodies that attack the GI tract in an effort to elliminate the offending gluten. Typically these would remain positive; however, it is possible that once the gluten is removed the body may stop being induced to make the antibodies and levels could fall below detectable.

The short answer is that the tests may have been falsely negative. The antibody tests are less likely but theoretically could be falsely negative.

Given your dramatic response to removing the gluten I would recommend that you assume you are gluten sensitive and continue on a gluten free diet. If you have been feeling better for a while you may want to discuss with your doctor about reintroducing the gluten to see if you will be able to tolerate it.

|