News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Fistula or Obstruction

happy one - Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 pm

I've got mutiple health issues.Marginal B Cell Lymphoma,Hepc,and an Auto Immune disease of unknown origin.I've had alot of surgeries mostly abdominal.I went from being constipated to diareha and now can't go at all.I have so much gas in my pelvic area it drives me nuts.Gas in my urine and alot of pain.I see my doctor tommorrow to go over blood work.Got any ideas?I hope the cancer didn't go to the bowel.Sincerly,happy one
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:41 am

User avatar When constipation presents in someone that has had abdominal surgery, the possibility of a bowel obstruction from adhesions must be considered. If you are having lots of gas it is a little less likely to be a complete bowel obstruction but may be a partial obstruction. Also, if you are having gas in your urine a fistula is definitely possible.

Be sure to mention your symptoms when you see your doctor. You may need some imaging studies to get a better sense of what is going on.

Best wishes.
 happy one - Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Thank You so much for the information.My new doctor is getting me into a new Hemotologist for my Lymphoma.I'm so glad to be finally getting to the bottom of it all.I'm reluctantly going in for the Barium Enema.I just thought a Colonoscopy would be a better approach to this vrs the Barium test.Again ,Thank You for your help.Sincerly, Happy One
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 pm

User avatar The barium enema is a reasonable starting point since it can show if there are any "leaks" of the barium as well as show any areas of compression or obstruction. For example, if you do have a fistula, the barium can travel through the fistula and into the bladder making it very clear there is a connection. Small fistulas may be missed initially on colonoscopy but if it is known to be present the search can be continued until its found.

You may still need a colonoscopy but you'll get some helpful info from the enema.

Best wishes. It's good to hear your getting proper care.
 happy one - Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:09 pm

What are the symptoms for colon cancer ? Is watery stools and pain part of it?I'm in between doctors for my bowel problem.I've got a new Cancer doctor and new Internist.I unforunately had to say goodbye to my Gastroenterologist.I'm getting a referral on Monday to a new one.He just wanted things his way without a comprimise.We have MARSA in alot of our hospitals and frankly it has me alittle fearful of what to have done and where.Well any info on the colon would be a value to me.Thak You ,Happy One
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 pm

User avatar Many cases of colon cancer have no symptoms. The following symptoms, however, may indicate colon cancer:

Diarrhea, constipation, or other change in bowel habits
Blood in the stool
Unexplained anemia
Abdominal pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen
Intestinal obstruction
Weight loss with no known reason
Narrow stools

Of course, many different conditions can have similar symptoms so it can be a problem trying to diagnose yourself on the internet. I'm sure your doctors will be most helpful in this. Good luck with the new provider.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here