Question: Fistula or Obstruction

happy one - Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 pm

I've got mutiple health issues.Marginal B Cell Lymphoma,Hepc,and an Auto Immune disease of unknown origin.I've had alot of surgeries mostly abdominal.I went from being constipated to diareha and now can't go at all.I have so much gas in my pelvic area it drives me nuts.Gas in my urine and alot of pain.I see my doctor tommorrow to go over blood work.Got any ideas?I hope the cancer didn't go to the bowel.Sincerly,happy one
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:41 am

User avatar When constipation presents in someone that has had abdominal surgery, the possibility of a bowel obstruction from adhesions must be considered. If you are having lots of gas it is a little less likely to be a complete bowel obstruction but may be a partial obstruction. Also, if you are having gas in your urine a fistula is definitely possible.

Be sure to mention your symptoms when you see your doctor. You may need some imaging studies to get a better sense of what is going on.

happy one - Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Thank You so much for the information.My new doctor is getting me into a new Hemotologist for my Lymphoma.I'm so glad to be finally getting to the bottom of it all.I'm reluctantly going in for the Barium Enema.I just thought a Colonoscopy would be a better approach to this vrs the Barium test.Again ,Thank You for your help.Sincerly, Happy One
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:34 pm

User avatar The barium enema is a reasonable starting point since it can show if there are any "leaks" of the barium as well as show any areas of compression or obstruction. For example, if you do have a fistula, the barium can travel through the fistula and into the bladder making it very clear there is a connection. Small fistulas may be missed initially on colonoscopy but if it is known to be present the search can be continued until its found.

You may still need a colonoscopy but you'll get some helpful info from the enema.

Best wishes. It's good to hear your getting proper care.
 happy one - Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:09 pm

What are the symptoms for colon cancer ? Is watery stools and pain part of it?I'm in between doctors for my bowel problem.I've got a new Cancer doctor and new Internist.I unforunately had to say goodbye to my Gastroenterologist.I'm getting a referral on Monday to a new one.He just wanted things his way without a comprimise.We have MARSA in alot of our hospitals and frankly it has me alittle fearful of what to have done and where.Well any info on the colon would be a value to me.Thak You ,Happy One
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:31 pm

User avatar Many cases of colon cancer have no symptoms. The following symptoms, however, may indicate colon cancer:

Diarrhea, constipation, or other change in bowel habits
Blood in the stool
Unexplained anemia
Abdominal pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen
Intestinal obstruction
Weight loss with no known reason
Narrow stools

Of course, many different conditions can have similar symptoms so it can be a problem trying to diagnose yourself on the internet. I'm sure your doctors will be most helpful in this. Good luck with the new provider.

|