News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Chest pain aggrevated by deep breath

starshine - Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:16 am

Hi doctors, good day!

I am experiencing pain and tightness currently. It can be unbearable at times. It's around my chest, espohagus, collar bone and back of my both shoulder. Deep breadth will aggreviate the pain and can only have shallow breadthing. The pain is worse when lying down. I am also feeling fatigue and irritable. Does not have appetite don't feeel hungry. There is also throbling pain on the above described area when I stand up after sitting on the floor. I am also having some mild dirhoea.

My doctor had prescribed me some pain killer and an inhaler but the relief is minimum.

I have history of gastric pain.

I am 38 female. Family members have diabetes, high blood pressure and cervical cancer.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like muscle spasm is the cause of this pain.

Muscle spasm can occur following viral infection. In this condition mild fever, fatigue and diarrhea may be associated symptoms

This spasm of the muscle results in shallow breathing, a mechanism by which you are trying to avoid more muscle contraction.

Pleurisy an inflammation of the pleura is commonly due to viral infection and can be associated with muscle spasm. This will be an adding factor for the shallow respiration you experience.

In many cases muscle spasm is the result of inappropriate posture for long time like traveling, driving, overuse and certain types of work.
Individuals with disc problems are more prone to have muscle spasm.

In these cases, self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain.
Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

Other causes to be excluded are causes of GI origin like GERD, esophagitis and gastritis although less likely. And in any case of chest pain, cardiac causes should be excluded even if less likely to be considered.

I hope you find this answer useful. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here