Question: Abdominal Pain after taking Alli

jose96853 - Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:00 pm

I am Jose. I am a 26 year old male. I am an asthmatic on albuterol, singulair. I also have GERD, which I take Omeprazole (Aciphex basically). I have been taken that new weight loss drug Alli for the past couple weeks. Because I weigh 193 and I am 5'4". I have now been experiencing abdominal pain on and off. What can be happening to me?
 Dr. K. Eisele - Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 am

User avatar Dear Jose:

Abdominal pain is a known adverse effect of Alli. Alli works by blocking the absorption of dietary fats. This means that if you eat foods high in fat content, the medicine will not allow your body to absorb that fat as you would normally--through the intestines. Since that function is blocked, you will have increased fat in the bowel, which will tend to draw water into the bowel, which causes the intestinal wall to stretch, which in turn, is painful. This condition is also accompanied by diarrhea quite frequently.

I would say that you are likely experiencing the intended effect of the medication, but the pain itself is an adverse effect.

Consult your physician if you feel that there may be a better option for weight loss. There are medications that block your appetite, but they have disadvantages as well.

Good luck and feel free to come back with any additional questions and/or concerns.

|