Question: High Platelet Count/Celiac Disease

plantation - Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:47 pm

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 3 years ago. I am following my gluten free diet. My platelet count has been inching up and is now at 500,000. My hematologist mentioned that this may be connected to Celiac Disease, but my SED rate test showed no inflammation. I'm returning in a month for a retest. Is it possible to have increasing platelet count due to Celiac Disease?

Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:25 pm

User avatar Platelets are considered to be an acute phase reactant meaning that they can become elevated in response to inflammation.

The ESR (sed rate) is a similar marker of inflammation. The ESR rises slowly so it is possible that you may be in the early stages of a celiac flare and the ESR has simply not responded yet. There is another test called c-reactive protein (CRP) that responds much faster to inflammation.

If there is concern about some inflammatory state going on, checking the CRP would be helpful.

Keep in mind also that any source of inflammation can cause the platelets to increase not just celiac disease so they may be increasing for a different reason.

|