Question: Stomach pain

girlcosmo - Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:12 pm

I am a 37 old female, 125 pounds, 5'7'' tall. I particpate in karate, belly dancing and single mom. I smoke one pack a day, diagnosed begin emphzy 2 years ago. (I know I don't want a lecture ;) ) I have had upper pain at base of sternum for 3 months now. Accompanied by, nausia, occas-vomiting, severe pain accompanies under ribs on left. Bowels have chaged not consistant daily (sometimes noraml sometimes thin sometimes pain under rib left side extremely intense. Blood work, cbc, w/wo diff normal, cholestrol normal, not diabetic, bp 110/70 most of time. Diagnosed congential rapid heart rate 5 yrs ago. Gerd, diagnosed 6 years ago. I currently take no meds. 3 ultra sounds, blood work weekly, ex-ray and ct w/wo contrast (all good). Endo everything good (even biopsies). No ulcer either. Lipase levels flucuates 67, 452,90, 79 with amylase normal. Now amylase level rising and lipase at 79. Also order isoenzyme no results yet. Now odered a hepato w/cck injection, my question is what is he looking for? He said maybe gall bladder is trying to fool us. I was like why take it out if no stones, he responded He said maybe gall bladder is trying to fool us. I also do not use drugs and only social drink. Beer only and I am a light weight 3 beers and I am lit. So what is he looking for now since everything does not look like gall bladder?
PLEASE HELP!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:20 pm

User avatar I believe your doctor is being thorough. There are always exceptions to every test so while screening and labwork can steer us in the right direction, there are cases that don't show up in the typical way. So, perhaps this is what your doctor means when he says "gallbladder may be fooling us." He is trying to find the cause of your pain and does not want to leave out anything in the process. Following with liver studies is a good idea, so I would do as your doctor suggests here. He must also take into consideration other possible adverse effects of smoking on the body so, while you don't want a lecture, it is still a fact in your life and a factor in your health so it must be addressed in the diagnosis of problems.

It is never too late to stop smoking and have a positive impact on your future health. You may feel it is too late but quitting at any time restores a level of health and adds to your future quality of life. For me to omit saying this, simply because you do not want a lecture, would be medical negligence.

Good luck in your testing. It sounds to me like you are in good hands.

|