News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: black stool & white attachments to stool

lilonething - Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:31 am

Hi there,

I've had stomach pain and heartburn for years (I'm 30 now) and I have just gotten used to any strange things that may happen regarding my BM. Lately I had 5 days of black stool and when that stopped I started feeling dizzy and headachey. I thought it was just a bug, but mentioned it at my new patient physical when the doctor said my urine sample was off. He mentioned that I might have a bacteria (H. pylori?) and the black stool might be blood. I was going for blood tests anyway, so he added a few more to it. Since then I've been feeling worse (very dizzy and sharp pains in my chest/rib area). I don't know whether to wait for 2 weeks until my appointment to review test results or if I should tell him I feel worse. I haven't had any more black stool, but I have has white attachments on my stool and bad smelling jelly mucus coming out. I've had both of these many times before, but never worried about it until now. Could they be related to my problem? Should I be concerned about the dizziness and chest pain or wait it out? The doctor gave me an antacid sample (Nexium) but I have only taken it for two days so far and it doesn't have an effect...not yet anyway.

Thanks in advance!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:40 pm

User avatar If it were me, I would follow up with the doctor sooner and explain your additional symptoms, ongoing pain, etc. Good luck.
 lilonething - Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks for the response. I'm not so dizzy today. Do you know if there is a general cause for the white attachments to stool and the clear jelly fluid. I've had them many times and never worried before. Is it indicative of something?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here