News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gastroscopy before gall bladder surgery?

neala - Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 pm

I am a 28 yr old female who has been diagnosed with gall stones. I am scheduled to see a surgeon July 17th and he is wanting to do a gastroscope before proceding with the surgery. My question is, is it normal to perform a gastroscopy before the surgery? I assume this is to make sure there are no stones in the bile ducts. I have been having gall stone attacks every night and into the morning. I do have some pain during the day, but it is not as bad. Some days I am bed ridden all day. I am scared that the surgeon will do this gastroscopy, but will leave my gall bladder as I am Celiac and I know I will continue to have gall stones. I also have kidney stones. I would rather just have the gall bladder removed and not worry about the pain coming back again. I am not able to work and I have been taken off a project because of this.

Thanks,
Amiee
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:52 pm

User avatar Some surgeons like to do this, others do not. Generally if there are indications that there may be a stone in the duct (such as elevated liver enzymes or biliary tree enzymes) the gastroscopy may be more needed than simply doing surgery.

Some surgeons will also do a cholangiogram where they inject dye into the gallbladder and make sure it empties into the intestines before doing the gallbladder removal to look for duct obstruction that would need to be addressed at the time of the surgery.

I would recommend you talk with your surgeon about the benefits/risks of doing this procedure. If you feel that you would prefer not to have it done, talk with your surgeon about that also.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here