News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood in Vomit

sandos - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm a 25 year old male. Last night I happened to tie one on a bit excessively, something I do not do that often. After a while of course I began to feel sick and I had to vomit. I must have spent at least a total of 2 to 3 minutes at the toilet. At first everything was coming up very nicely :-)... Then after a while nothing would come up at all but I still felt sick so I continued to wretch and dry heave a bit. Then finally I got out about three heaves with liquid in them, the only problem being the liquid was mostly blood. Bright red blood towards the end of the heave. I asked a friend to come look at it for me (aren't I nice) and confirm that I wasn't just making this up in my mind and he said it was blood. I do not take any medications currently, and I'd also like to point out the utter rarity of the amount of drink I had. I drink (1 or 2 drinks) once a week, I might kick that up (3 or 4 drinks) once a month and the amount I consumed last night (7 or 8 drinks) is a once in a blue moon, they made me do it, type of event.

Anyway my gut :-) instinct tells me that I dry heaved and wretched so much that I tore some blood vessels but I thought I should throw it out there anyway to see if my theory is way out of line. Does anyone have any thoughts about this that they'd like to share? Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:41 pm

User avatar Your theory is actually basically correct. It is fairly common for there to be some blood in the emesis after several episodes of vomiting. The bleeding comes from small tears in the lining of the stomach/esophagus. It isn't large vessels that tear but rather it is the capillaries.

The lining of the stomach and esophagus heals very quickly so there should be no problems in the future.

The technical name fore this is a Mallory-Weiss tear.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here