Question: Blood in Vomit

sandos - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm a 25 year old male. Last night I happened to tie one on a bit excessively, something I do not do that often. After a while of course I began to feel sick and I had to vomit. I must have spent at least a total of 2 to 3 minutes at the toilet. At first everything was coming up very nicely :-)... Then after a while nothing would come up at all but I still felt sick so I continued to wretch and dry heave a bit. Then finally I got out about three heaves with liquid in them, the only problem being the liquid was mostly blood. Bright red blood towards the end of the heave. I asked a friend to come look at it for me (aren't I nice) and confirm that I wasn't just making this up in my mind and he said it was blood. I do not take any medications currently, and I'd also like to point out the utter rarity of the amount of drink I had. I drink (1 or 2 drinks) once a week, I might kick that up (3 or 4 drinks) once a month and the amount I consumed last night (7 or 8 drinks) is a once in a blue moon, they made me do it, type of event.

Anyway my gut :-) instinct tells me that I dry heaved and wretched so much that I tore some blood vessels but I thought I should throw it out there anyway to see if my theory is way out of line. Does anyone have any thoughts about this that they'd like to share? Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:41 pm

User avatar Your theory is actually basically correct. It is fairly common for there to be some blood in the emesis after several episodes of vomiting. The bleeding comes from small tears in the lining of the stomach/esophagus. It isn't large vessels that tear but rather it is the capillaries.

The lining of the stomach and esophagus heals very quickly so there should be no problems in the future.

The technical name fore this is a Mallory-Weiss tear.

|