Question: Stomach issues

taz - Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:12 pm

I am a 39 yr old female. I have had a pain in my left upper stomach (by left rib cage). I was having diarhea also it seemed like every time I would eat. I went to the GI and he said he thought I pulled a stomach muscle and to use heating pad and 3 advil 2 times a day. The pain went away and now is back. I also have pain in my lower back near buttocks (burning pain sometimes) and sometimes in my pelvic area. I went to my GYN who did a pap and also a pelvic ultrasound and said all was fine. She referred me back to the GI doctor. I am now waiting to get in with him. Along with the pains described above I have constipation for 4-5 days at a time. Nothing is working. I did start Metformin as I was told I am borderline to being diabetic and it runs in family so they are trying to prevent it in advance. I don't know if this is causing my pain to move around or what it could be. I am always bloated as well. I had kidney stones in the past but my primary care doctor has already ran an x-ray, ct scan and bone scan and all come back fine. My blood work also came back fine as did the urine tests they have run. My bones seem to pop/crackle more now. Not painful but more noticable. I am not sure if this is because of the constipation and maybe nutrients aren't going to the right places or what? Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 pm

User avatar I would be somewhat suspicious of an inflammatory bowel disease. Typically they would present at a younger age; however, it is still possible to develop them. Seeing the GI doctor is the right thing to do. You may need an endoscopy to look at the lining of the stomach/colon to help find out what is going on.

taz - Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:35 am

GI has scheduled a colonoscopy for 8/21 but doesn't think he will find anything. I feel as though they think I am making this up but I am not. You mentioned the endoscopy but he said colonoscopy. Can they see the same thing?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:09 pm

User avatar Endoscopy would be from above and looking at the esophagus, stomach and first part of the small intestines. Colonoscopy would be from below and evaluate the length of the colon.

Both may be helpful. If there is suspicion of inflammatory bowel disease, the colonoscopy should be done.

taz - Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 am

I went today for my colonoscopy. Dr. said all looked fine. Had one small polyp he removed but not too concerned about it. Said to go o a high fiber diet and go back in 2 weeks. I am concerned still. I asked about an ultrasound to rule out galbladder but he insisted this wasn't signs of that. My stomach still gets bloated and my lowerback/buttocks area hurts /burns now along with pain that seems to move around in my abdominal region. Not sure what to do now. I have followed this fiber diet before when he recommended and nothing really changed. Very worried and concerned. Any ideas? Thank you again.

|