Question: Problems from over use of antibiotics?

bigbuys - Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:35 am

HI, I am a 40 year old male. About a year ago I had a hole in my throat. ( which they never told me what caused it) I was rushed to a hospital and they gave me every antibiotic ever made I think.. That was the treatment.. ( 4 days worth) Ever since I have had a lot of problems. I went back to a doctor and he said my problems where due to the antibiotics and gave me more antibiotics. Well the problems of gas, pain, a lot of bright red blood in stool, fatigue, having trouble with BM.. It seams if I have a glass of milk its worse. After all this and 15 thousand later I cant afford more useless tests please help me figure this out.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:30 pm

User avatar Hi Bigbuys,

Antibiotics can cause some problems with your digestive tract. Most commonly, they kill off the "good" bacteria in the intestines and allow the "bad" bacteria to get a foothold. A common infection that results is one with clostridium difficile. This can cause severe diarrhea, abdominal pain and blood in the stool.

Your symptoms also sound as if you may have gastritis or an ulcer. It may be worth being tested for H. Pylori (a bacteria that can cause these things).

One other thought would be that the throat problem and your current symptoms may be related but not due to the antibiotics. Crohn's disease can sometimes present like this, although your presentation would not be "classic" for Crohn's.

If you are not getting better you may need to see a GI specialist.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

|