News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdominal bloating, wondering causes and treatment

Anrwaluin - Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:31 pm

Hello. I am a19 year old female and have struggled with two eating disorders, anorexia and lately bulemia. Having discovered the severity of the effects of both disorders on my body and being extremely active (running 4 or more miles a day and often swimming 1 mile as well, plus lots of walking), I have recently begun noticing severe abdominal bloating (over the past 3 weeks). Three weeks ago, I began a fast, eating only in the afternoon after 3pm. I know I have been getting dehydrated as well. This week, I have been doing a cleanse diet of only fruits and vegetables, but the bloating is so great on my thin frame right now that I look heavily pregnant. My fiance thinks it is beginning of starvation. I have been very gassy as well, though. What can I do to reduce and completely diminish the bloating?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:07 pm

User avatar Hi Anrwaluin,

I would strongly urge you to see your doctor for an evaluation. There is a form of malnurishment, called Kwashiorkor, that can cause severe abdominal distention. Being in this state can be very, very dangerous.

Seeing a doctor for an evaluation is crucial. Please do so as soon as possible.

Best wishes.
 Anrwaluin - Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Hello again, thank you for answering my previous question. I am the same 19 year old female who asked the first question about abdominal bloating. Researching causes for this bloating, the most likely to me would be insufficient protein, lactose intolerance/some food allergy, or starvation. I have been eating probably below, drastically below, 1000 calories per day, mostly fruits and vegetables, with some days being all rice or whatever. I run 4-5 miles per day. I notice even if I skip one of my tiny meals, my abdomen becomes very bloated. Two nights ago I awoke with a vomiting feeling in my stomach, my abdomen was bloated and I could not become comfortable. I suspect I was very dehydrated too. The bloating went down after 2 hrs. I awoke at 5am again with same sensation, but only lasted 1 hr. The next day I ate only a peach and slept most of the day, thinking I had a stomach flu. But this bloating makes me think it will be perpetuated by eating, but in eating, it tends to reduce quickly. Or drinking. Can you help tell me whats going on?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here