Question: Stomach cramps, face swelling & skin irritation all at o

lannis23 - Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi. I'm a 27 y/o female. Since Aug. 2006 I've been suffering with bad stomach cramps accompanied with vomitting or/both diarrhea and my face swells up and my whole body itches, and my skin is tender to the touch almost like it hurts. First my stomach cramps then my face swells, itching, skin sensitivity. If I'm lucky enough to vomit or diarrhea, the itching and pain subside, the swelling goes away within 48 hrs. I was hospitalized in January 2007 for a ruptured ovarian cyst. While in the hospital I had an endoscopy and the MD said I had gastritis and a peptic ulcer. I was prescribed protonix and i am still on the same medication. Two weeks ago I forgot to take protonix and the next morning I took it ate breakfast and later that morning I had an episode like described above. Last Thursday while out with friends late at night I had another episode. I don't know what to do anymore. I don't drink alcohol, I barely eat because I feel like I may randomly get sick and I'm always on edge because I don't know what causes these episodes. Thank you in advance for your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:51 pm

User avatar Hi Lannis23,

Your symptoms are interesting. Perhaps you do have a food allergy. I would recommend you follow up with a GI specialist. You may need the endoscopy repeated to look for any signs of eosinophilic gastroenteropathy (a condition related to food allergies).

Generally, allergy testing is not helpful for food allergies; however, in your case, since you are getting facial swelling as well it may be helpful for you to be tested to see if there is a particular food that is causing the problems.

Sometimes an elimination diet is needed where you would only eat a very limited variety of foods, excluding the main causes of allergies for a while. If your symptoms resolve you can begin to add foods back one at a time to see if one begins to cause problems.

|