News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Highly elevated ALT levels, all else normal

Kasiek - Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:18 pm

Hello...
My boyfriend (age 28) recently got some routine blood and urine tests done... all his results came out great (within the normal range) except the ALT levels which were significantly elevated (his ALT level was greater than 100)....
I am very worried and would just like to know possible causes of this...

His ASL levels were completely normal as are all his other results... he is of normal weight.... the elevated ALT levels were not caused by vigorous exercising....he does not drink and he has no past history of liver diseases or any family history either.... he does not take any medication/supplements...

The only thing that I could think as being related is the fact that the right mitral valve in his heart doesn't shut properly (a condition he's had since he was a child---diagnosed as very mild).....

Is it possible that he has hepatitis? Are ALT levels > 100 very serious??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:37 pm

User avatar I understand your confusion about this problem. I will try to give a little information here.

As for the lab results~ A standard reference range is not available for this test because these are dependent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Your lab report should include the specific reference range for your test and your doctor can better interpret in light of other symptoms. Lab values such as ALT does not in itself diagnose illness but it is part of the clinical picture and it can be useful in discovering problems. Don't be afraid to ask for full explanation, taking into consideration your specific case.

A high ALT value does suggest some type of liver injury or insult. This could be related in some cases, as you suggested, to strenuous exercise or alcohol (both of which your boyfriend does not have risk for). It could also be the result of medications taken (prescription or even "natural" or "herbal" products) or bile duct blockage. Acute or chronic disease Hepatitis can be caused by viruses contracted through exposure such as food (Hepatitis A) or blood contact, sexual or other body fluid (Hepatitis B or C) and there is also an auto-immune form where the body attacks itself.

Again, this is just general information to help you understand liver conditions that may be reflected in this lab report. Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here