Question: Recurring intermittent dull pains throughout abdoman

iniraq07 - Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:37 am

Age: 23
Sex: Male
No previous diagnosis
No surgeries
No family history (that I know of)
No current medications

First of all, thank you very much for this wonderful website and to all the people contributing to it.

For the past 2 weeks I have been experiancing intermittent abdominal pain. The pain is usually dull, and sometimes(very seldom) making it up to a 4 for pain. The pain moves around from place to place but mainly stays in the center of the upper abdomen (at or right below the sternum. It also feels as though my intestines are swollen or bloated (ecspecially about an hour or two after I eat).

For about 2 weeks before these pains, I had really bad bloating with soft and sometimes watery stool and there was generally less stool then usual. The stool was also darker than normal. Now my stool is back to normal (starting to get dark again) and the really bad bloating has gone away (after 10 days of flagyl) but now i have these weird pains and i still get bloated (mainly after I eat).

I did go to the TMC (troop medical clinic) and i was seen by a P.A. (there are no doctors on this camp). The P.A. first said it was viral gastroenteritis, but after going back to him four days later he thought it may be a worm so he prescribed flagyl. Not sure if it worked or not since im still having bloating and now these wierd pains. (bloating is no where near as bad)

I have no nausea, Im not vomiting, no constipation, and no Diarreha. Im very worried that I have something seriously wrong with me. Like my login name suggests, im in iraq and at a very small out post. So my medical options and abilities to get second opinions are very limited.
Thank you very much for your help and advice!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:13 pm

User avatar Hi Iniraq07,

First off, thank you for serving your country in the military.

Regarding your pain, there are a few possibilities. Pain in this region is often due to gastritis or reflux. It may also be due to gallbladder pain.

With your symptoms of bloating I am also suspicious of a food intolerance, such as lactose intolerance. Celiac disease is another possibility.

Given your limited resources you may want to discuss with the PA about trying an antireflux medicine. It may also be helpful to try a lactose free diet to see if this helps. The catch is that if you do both at the same time and get better you won't know which it is. If this is the case you can try adding lactose back in afterwards. If your symptoms recur it was the lactose.

Best wishes. Let us know if we can be of more help.
 iniraq07 - Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:43 pm

Alright, its me again....I left a post a few weeks ago about recurring
intermittent abdominal pain.

Im not sure if this fits into the gastro area but, I just had a grayish
colored stool. I am now offically scared!! Do I have Hepatitis?!?!?!?

Shoot at me, rocket me, mortar me (all happens here) but just don't tell me
I have an infectious diesease. As far as symptoms go....nothing has really
changed since my last post except for this one gray colored bowel movement.
I was only one BM and now its back to normal. Im scared!! Help!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:26 am

User avatar One off colored stool is not particularly concerning. If you begin to have multiple whitish colored stools this would be more concerning for a blockage in the bile duct of the liver (such as from a gallstone).

|