Question: Microscopic Colitis

jstoonb - Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:49 pm

So FINALLY I got diagnosed with microscopic colitis after almost a year of having diarrhea. This diagnosis came when biopsies from my flex sigmoidoscopy came back positive for the microscopic colitis.

I was prescribed Asacol.
I am finding whole tablets in my stool...... what does this mean and is there an alternative drug that I should be on instead?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:00 pm

User avatar Hi Jstoonb,

If you are still having diarrhea it is possible that the Asacol pills are traveling through the intestines too fast to dissolve and work well. It is likely that they are dissolving some but if you are consistently seeing whole tablets in your stool you should talk to your GI doctor.

You may need a different medication for a while until you are able to use the Asacol and have them dissolve.