Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Cirrhosis symptoms

Kaylak01 - Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:37 am

Hi, 36 female with history of heavy drinking. Almost everyday in my twenties and then probably three times a week until March 07 when I quit. I had previously posted a question about me having Terry's nails and a few spider angiomas. Since March more spiders have developed on my arms and more recently my palms turned very red and splotchy. All bloodtests have been normal (five in the last two years), Ct scan showed normal size liver with two cysts and two old calcified granulomas which Dr. said was no big deal. No free fluid and veins were patent. Dr. said I'm needlessly alarming and does not believe I have cirrhosis. Dermatologist says spiders are just aging. My questions are:

Is it possible to have three major symptoms of cirrhosis (Terry's nails, red palms, and spiders) and not have liver disease? Could these symptoms be caused from chronic heavy drinking alone?

What are calcified granulomas in the liver. Ct scan said they probably represent old tuberculosis but I never had tuberculosis that I'm aware of.

Please take your time in responding as I realize you are volunteers and have busy schedules. I really appreciate this site and your input.
 Eric55 - Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:33 pm

Just to ease your mind until one of the kind doctors can reply, my opinion is that's is highly unlikely you have cirrhosis. I have spiders and occasionally red palms as well and I'm around your age, 37. Also with a history of drinking. Terry's nails has other causes beside cirrhosis. Wikipedia.com it. If you had cirrhosis your liver panel would show that. Liver enzymes only start to look normal in end stage cirrhosis. If that were the case you would likely have more severe symptoms. Additionally, a ct and ultrasound should rule out this type of condition. Best. Eric
 Eric55 - Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:34 pm

Is there a doctor who can properly answer her question. Although my response may be correct, it would be good to have a professional response to her concerns.
 Kaylak01 - Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:51 am

Thanks Eric- Maybe it is from the alcohol itself. I just had another ultrasound done yesterday so if it's normal I'll stop dwelling on it. I've quit the alcohol and exercise and I'm not overweight. I just think it's scary to have three symptoms and no liver disease. Of course they won't do a biopsy with normal tests and even if they did find damage they'll just tell me to stop drinking which I did already. Thanks again for your reply and I'll let you know how the ultrasound comes out.

Kayla
 Kaylak01 - Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:33 am

Ultrasound was negative they said. No signs of cirhosis or liver disease.
 Eric55 - Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Great! Very good to hear. Have you had your bloodwork done as well or just the ultrasound?
 Kaylak01 - Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:13 pm

They did bloodwork in either March or April and that came out perfect as it always did over the years. I am starting to think that maybe alcohol itself can cause those spider things on your skin combined with the sun and getting older. When you look stuff up it always says cirrhosis. Either way they won't do anymore tests and as long as I feel healthy I will stop worrying. Thanks.- Kayla

|