Question: Sharp pain in RUQ when I clench my right fist.

jazz29 - Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:30 am

1.) 28
2.) M
3.) Non
4.) Non
5.) Non
6.) Non

I've been getting this sharp localized pain in the right upper quadrant area of the abdomen. It'll last for about a week and disappear and then reappear again 7-8 weeks later. This started about 6 months ago.
The pain gets duller and duller with each passing day until it's gone...usually by the 7th day.

There are no other symptoms that accompanies this pain. The pain is sharp and occurs in short bursts.
It's always brought out by certain specific movements. When I'm sitting or lying still, I don't feel it.

I can always bring out this sharp pain by clenching my right fist or doing certain movements with my right arm. Also, if I use my left hand to squeeze my right hand, it also brings out the pain.

Strangely, clenching my left hand by itself or any left arm movements doesn't bring out the pain, nor does jumping up and down and running.

I think the pain in my ab is somehow connected with my right hand/arm ?

I appreciate your help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi Jazz29,

This is a bit perplexing. The RUQ of the abdomen really is not connected to the arm neurologically. The only connection I can think of that could potentially be causing some pain is a muscle called the Latissimus Dorsi which runs along the back of the chest/abdomen and connects to the upper arm.

Perhaps when you are squeezing your arm you are contracting this muscle or other abdominal muscles at the same time.

Beyond this, I really cannot come up with a good explanation. Perhaps a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedic surgeon may be able to help figure this out.

|