Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Mild Hepatosplenomegaly

providence210 - Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Hi. I'm a 38 yr old female who has been experiencing pain in mu upper right quandrant of my back and now right upper in front. My doctor ordered an abdominal ultrasound, and the impressions of the radiologist were:
1. Mild hepastosplenomagaly
2. Small accessory spleen

Other that the RUQ pain, I've been experiencing Reflux and indigestion for a while now.

My question is, when you're diagnosed with the hepastosplenomagly, what should you do to determine the cause of it? Is it serious?

Really Concerned
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi Really Concerned,

Mild hepatosplenomegaly may be normal or may be due to several causes. If the liver is enlarged due to damage blood may have trouble flowing freely through it causing it to back up and make the spleen larger.

The possible reasons for this are quite extensive.

The first step, though, is to find out if this is truly abnormal. Your doctor may be able to follow your liver/spleen size by physical examination or you may need a repeat ultrasound in a month or so.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

|