News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallstones and flatulance and diahrea

countrygirl - Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:07 am

I have had gallstones for over 15 years lots of small ones and up until past 6 months they have not bothered me. I had liver blood test and ultrasound scan every year to check no complications.

6 months ago I experienced over night severe tight feeling around waist with pain going into back plus excess burping and flatulance and many loose bowel motions throughout the night. I had ultrasound which showed no blocked ducts or thickened wall of gallbladder and pancreas etc was normal. Liver blood tests were normal as was blood count etc. I had sgmoidoscopy which was completely normal.

I can have attacks like above every few nights for weeks then not at all for a couple of months.

My consultant has recommended I have my gallbladder removed as I have had stones for so long
but he can't be 100% certain that the attacks I am having are gallbladder related but he says only way of finding out is by removing gallbladder.

I have just had another bad attack last night with severe feeling of tightness round waist especially on right side with noisy escess wind in bowels and excess burping and had loose bowel motions every half hour all night and continuing today.
My Dr examined me this morning and said I have tenderness over right side of liver and I am waiting for results of blood tests for liver and blood count. She also recommends I have my gallbladder removed as this will determine once and for all if my attacks are caused by my gallstones.

I am obese although have lost stone in wieght in last 6 months.

My worries are

Could my pancreas be the problem if my ultrasound of pancreas was normal and my liver tests are normal?

I keep reading about people who have had gallbladder surgery and are worse than they were before with bad abdominal pain and diahhrea what percentage of people experience this after surgery??

HUge huge thanks for your time
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:43 pm

User avatar Hi Countrygirl,

Your symptoms are suspicious for intermittent blockage of your bile duct and possibly your pancreatic duct. The ultrasound may show a normal pancreas while you are actually having pancreas problems.

Based on what you have said here, I would agree with your doctors about having your gallbladder out.

It is true that some people feel worse after the surgery but this is not the norm. I am not familiar enough with the exact statistics on this to give you any definite figures. I would recommend you see a general surgeon to discuss the surgery and its potential complications/benefits. This way you can make an informed decision about whether or not to have the surgery done.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here