News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: lower and upper abdominal pain

tulip18 - Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:18 am

i am 18 and for the past few days have been feeling abdominal pain. The upper abdominal pain is right at the center of my chest and the lower abdominal pain has been throughout the whole area in my pelvic area, from the left to right side. I went to a doctor thinking it could be appendicitis since i have thrown up, and had nausea but the nausea began before the pain. The doctor did a sonogram and took a blood test to check for inflammation but found nothing... i still have the pain its like someone kicked me in my lower abdomin... and i have a slight sting in my right lower abdomin which comes and goes... please help... :?: :cry:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:18 am

User avatar Dear Tulip18,

Abdominal pain is not an easy entity to diagnose, you did the right thing by going to your doctor because the best thing is to have an abdominal examination in addition to pelvic/rectal exam if thought to be indicated by your doctor. An ultrasound is another step if thought to help if the physical exam is deemed to be inconclusive or confusing and more information is needed.

Right lower abdominal pain can be caused by inflammation of the appendix, pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, inflammation and/or distention of the colon, ovary pain, kidney pain, bladder pain. The possibilities are numerous. Each has to be excluded by physical exam and then the ultrasound and blood tests if deemed necessary.

If you still have abdominal pain, you will have to see your doctor once more.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 karladd - Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:03 am

i went to the doctor and they found nothing and i still have the pain... im not sure how long i should wait for it to go away before seeing the doctor again.... i have a full feeling in my stomach i don't know if its just because im drinking alot or because i havent eaten much.....

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here