News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Lowered ALT

siemens - Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:58 am

Hello
I just got my blood test results, and everything is fine except few things:

Total bilirubin 30 (normal value from 5 to 17)
Liver ALT 28 (normal value from 30 to 65)
Total Cholesterol 3.1 (normal value from 3.1 to can't remember)

These "normal values" were printed besides my results by lab machine.
Doctor told me everything is fine and that I should do bilirubin again (direct and indirect) in 15 days. He said lowered ALT is not something to be concerned.

But still I'm wondering could there be any connection between these three things? Maybe lower cholesterol (it's still normal but lowest normal value) is influencing deficency of liver ALT, and that increases bilirubin? I am no doctor, and this is just my thinking, since I know that liver needs fat for proper functioning.

Should I really be not concerned with lowered ALT? What are the possible causes of lowered ALT, and what could be done to get it back to normal?

I am 24 and I'm active in sports.

Thank you
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 pm

User avatar Dear Siemens,

Why did you have these tests in the first place?

It is normal to find low alt in the serum, there is no need to worry whatsoever.

alt is a liver enzyme, please refer to our alt page for futher information.

It is good to have a cholesterol on the low normal side. Unless, you are severely malnourished, otherwise, you don't have to worry about it.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 siemens - Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:53 am

Thank you for your reply, and a great site too.

I did a test because I feel little bit more tired than usually, and I haven't done blood test for last 6 years, so I tought it would be good to check. I belive my tirednes comes from not enough sleep (it's summer and I'm out with friends more than usually).

I train martial arts and have 2 intense training and 2 lighter training a week. I try to keep balanced diet and keep low fat. Do you think I should increase fat intake? I already take grinded flax seed, but thinking of taking more, together with some walnuts, peanuts and more fish?

Thank you
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:05 am

User avatar Dear Siemens,

i don't think that you are malnourished. You sound like a healthy young man. i don't think you have to worry.

Regarding diet, it is also advisable to eat a healthy and balanced diet.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here