News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Chronic Left Side/Back/Abdominal Pain

salexan2 - Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:20 pm

41 years
Female
Recently passed kidney stone - right kidney
Family history of diabetes/heart disease/hypertension and suspicious polyps in the colon (both parents)

I have been experiencing chronic side/back pain on my left side for 2 months. It sometimes moves down into my abdomin toward my pelvis. I have been experiencing more gas than usual and the pain is worse when I am feeling bloated, though it is there when I am not bloated. Bowels are normal, though a little more frequent than usual. It hurts to lay down on my left side (hurts my back at the bottom of the rib cage). When I lay down on my left side, it almost feels like I am laying on something (like a bump). Both front and back are sensitive to pressure (feels like a bruise), but my side is not. Pushing on my side seems to alleviate the pain. Pain is not severe, but consistent. Breathing deeply causes increased pain in the back at the bottom of the ribs.

I have been seen by my regular physician, my Gyn and an urologist. Transvaginal ultrasound is normal. Initially, they thought it was a kidney stone. There was one, but it was on the right and only 2mm. It has passed, and an IVP was done which was normal. I have had a pelvic and abdominal CT with contrast - normal with a 5mm unremarkable cyst on the left kidney. No fluid present in the abdomin or pelvis. CMP all came back normal, amylase normal.

I am scheduled for an ultrasound of the left kidney, though I am not at all convinced this is going to reveal anything. Doc says we could also do a colonoscopy.

Does this sound like anything easily identifiable?

Thank you very much for your consideration.
 salexan2 - Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:34 am

Ultrasound of left kidney indicated 5mm fatty cyst, everything else is normal. I am waiting to hear from the hospital on when a colonoscopy will be scheduled.

The pain is getting worse. Yesterday I felt mild nausea all day with the pain in the far lower left pelvic area. During the night I had bad pain in my stomach with cramping feelings starting in the lower left abdomen which seemed to radiate up my left side and around to my back.

No palpable bump or mass anywhere, applying pressure to the area alleviates the pain.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here