News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: HIDA Scan Results

Carol59 - Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 pm

I was diagnosed with GERD a few months ago and even though I'm on medication, it is not totally controlled. I had an upper endoscopy and an upper right-quadrant ultrasound, both of which were normal. I also had a HIDA scan with an ejection fraction of 42%. My gastroenterologist told me this was borderline and said we would monitor the situation but he thought eventually I would have to have my gallbladder removed. Is it common for gallbladder disease to occur without having gallstones? or could my problems be strictly from GERD? I guess I'm afraid that something else is still going on like PBC or cancer. Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 pm

User avatar Hi Carol59,

It is possible to have gallbladder disease without actually having gallstones. The wall of the gallbladder can become infected.

An ejection fraction of 42% on a HIDA scan is not too bad. Most people consider above 50% normal but the "normal" range can vary from clinician to clinician with some accepting down to 30% as normal.

If your symptoms are consistent with gallbladder disease it may be that you are beginning to develop some problems and your ejection fraction is actually on the way down.

Some people also simply have very severe GERD that is not fully controlled on typical medications. Maximizing medications is important if you are still having symptoms to try to get control of things. If medicines are unsuccessful you may need to have a 24 hour pH probe test done to measure the degree of reflux you are having. In severe cases a surgery called a fundoplication can help.

If you have not been tested for a bacteria called H. Pylori I would recommend this. This bacteria can cause gastritis and ulcers making GERD even worse.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here