Question: Belly piercing gone bad..help

kristeemiller - Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:44 am

:roll: HI....Just wanted some input....I had a belly piercing....needless to say it was a problem from the beginning and continuously had drainage( it was pierced just above the umbilicus) ...So i finally let it close...after using neosporin and normal saline to clean it for several months....about a week after it closed i had a horrible bout of constipation...this progressed to where I was unable to go to the bathroom for a week and ended up being admitted to the hospital....I have never had constipation before and was wondering if this piercing could have caused nerve damage...I did a little reseach and found that t-10 nerve intersects just at the umbilicus??I researched to find that most of digestion is stimulated thru the autonomic nervous system ( which would be internally within the bowel). Is this crazy or is this a possibility?? Would the nerves be that close to the skin or is this totally unrelated????INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED or I can be emailed at fyahkisses@aol.com
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:59 am

User avatar Dear kristee,

i don't think that the belly piercing and the constipation are related. The nerves that you are talking about are actually in the back in the spinal cord and the nerves in the skin around that area are responsible for sensation in that area.

What did the doctors tell you about the cause of the constipation?

If you are severly hypothyroid, you might have severe constipation and if the stools are hard, they might cause fecal impaction. But this is a remote possibility if you are already on synthroid unless this is how they discovered your hypothyroidsim.

What are the investigations that were done when you had this bout? Was a ct scan of the abdomen done? Was a colonoscopy done after this bout?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and waiting for your reply.

kristeemiller - Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:16 pm

:) Dear Doctor-

thanks for the reply.i am greatly relieved about the location of the nerves and was panicking to think I may have done damage with letting the belly piercing close and after it was infected.Is it the vagus nerve that is the primary nerve that initiates peristalsis???( Just curious) and is this nerve located Internally ( inside the gut)?
I am glad to hear there are only nerves of " sensation" around the umbilicus. To answer your questions..they did an xray and Ct scan with contrast and just found i was full of stool." obstipation " was the diagnosis. the Strange thing is that I eat a great diet...alot of fiber( fruits and veggies) No red meat and drink lots of water.This was a scary experience.

As far as the Hypothyroidism...this is not something new...I have been on synthroid over 10 years and my TSH was WNL. maybe this was just an isolated incident.I certainly hope so. I had been under a lot of stress recently so maybe stress is more powerful that i realize. Anyway Thanks so much !! :lol:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:06 pm

User avatar Dear kristee,

If your bowel habits have normalized now, i think there is nothing to do for the time being, if not, then i would recommend that you talk to your doctor about having a colonoscopy.

Regarding the vagus nerve, it is an internal nerve and it helps peristalsis and secretions in a large part of the gut.

xenalovesu65 - Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:15 pm

I have wanted a navel piercing since i was 10. I am now 14 and i still don't have one. My parents say that there are to many risks of getting an infection or damaging my body. I really need to prove to them that if i take care of it that it wont kill me. If you could tell me all of the risks that could come from a navel piercing, that would be great! :D I really want one and a reply would be great! Thanks!

|