News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Gallbladder?

sym0724 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:21 pm

About 2 weeks ago I went in too express care with right upper abdominal pain that followed into my back. The doc listened to my symptoms and then my stomach and said my stomach lining was eroded and gave me asophex and put me on the BRAT diet. About a week later I called not feeling any better so he told me to follow up with my doctor. My doctor immediately thought gall bladder and set me up with blood work and an ultrasound that same day. The blood work was normal and we were waiting on the US. That night I ended up in the ER throwing up and having sever pain. The US was read and didnt turn up with gall stones. To rule out anything else they did a chest xray for lungs. Urine for urinary tract infection and a pelvic exam for chlamydia. Negative for all. I was set up for a Hyda scan the next day and some pain meds. The Hyda scan came up negative so then a CT scan was done. Negative. Still in pain no better sometimes worse. I am set up for an Endoscopy in a couple days.

My question is if this Endo shows up with nothing my Doctor is going to tell me that sometimes people have pain and we cant figure it out. Could this still be my gall bladder? if not what the heck is this? I am in constant pain and I have never had any problems like this before. And should my doctor be telling me to just deal with it?

Thank you for any response!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:45 pm

User avatar Hi Sym0724,

I am suspicious that your pancreas may be causing the problems. Acute pancreatitis can cause pain exactly as you are describing and be worsened with eating similar to gallbladder problems.

Pancreatitis is generally tested for by testing the blood levels of amylase and lipase. The tests are rapid. Normal levels of these make pancreatitis unlikely.

The endoscopy will also be helpful to take a direct look at the linings of the esophagus, stomach and small intestines for any problems there.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here