Question: Upper Stomach Pain

mommyoftwo27 - Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:13 pm

I am a 27 yr. old female. Having upper stomach pains. That come and go. It started like three weeks ago. I have had an ultrasound and all that showed was a fatty liver. (I do not drink alcohol) All my blood work came back fine, they checked my gallbladder, CBC, pancreas and gallbladder. My pains are mild burning and tingling sensation.Occassional cramping. Its in my upper stomach it could be on the left side or the right side, I am a very stressful person and suffer from panic attacks. I currently do not take any medications. And I quit smoking 2 months ago. My family history is good, my father suffers from anxiety. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:01 pm

User avatar Hi Mommyoftwo27,

I am suspicious your pain may be due to acid reflux or gastritis. Gastritis is inflammation of the lining of the stomach. You may want to try an antacid medicine when you have the pain to see if it helps. If it does and the pain is occurring frequently you can talk with your doctor about a preventative medicine to help control it.

If the medicines don't help this doesn't necessarily rule out stomach problems but does make it a little less likely.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for a full evaluation if you are not getting any better.

mommyoftwo27 - Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:59 pm

Thank you for getting back with me so quickly, that was appreciated. I have tried antacids and they don't seem to work, but Ive only tried them like 3-4times. Maybe thats not enough. Is it normal for these pains to last so long? What about that Pylori stuff I read alot about?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:07 am

User avatar H. Pylori is a bacteria that can cause gastritis and ulcers. I would definitely recommend you be tested for this. If you do have this bacteria, antacids alone are unlikely to give you any lasting relief. Symptoms can continue and can get worse until treatment.

Treatment for H. Pylori is with 3-4 medications take for 2-3 weeks depending on the treatment regimen then staying on an acid blocker for a while longer.

Testing can be done by blood or, in some places, a breath test. Testing can also be done by endoscopy (using a camera to look at the stomach lining and take some biopsies).

|