Question: Gallbladder Removed, Weird Symptoms

littlesister1970 - Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:59 am

I am 37, female, and I have thyroid disorder(they removed it, taking Synthyroid 75), had ovarian cancer(removed tumor and all my female reproductive organs, no treatments necessary, just check ups), had tonsils out, had recent stress test, EKG and chest x ray-nothing showed up but a little abnormality--doc thinks it is false positive (stress test) and EKG(what showed could have been normal for me due to enlarged heart when I was a young adult). I have been on Prisolec, Zantac, did the GI Cocktail, took Reglan, and Axid. Didn't finish the Reglan. Don't like Prisolec. I was fatigued when I was taking. I had gallstones and so my very large gallbladder was taken out nearly two months ago laproscopically. Doc didn't think he could do it that way due to prior surgery, but he was able to barely. The scars are still on tummy, a little red. Family doc visits have proven frustrating. I still have some pains in my chest area(the middle) and in the back, and on the left side, and even cramp in my left leg. But these pains occur when I need ot have a BM. I belch a lot. When I have a BM these pains go away. i am not a real medicine person, and right now don't have insurance to go get the Endoscopy. I had all the tests prior to gallbladder and nothing showed but stones in gallbladder. Lots of them. Certain foods set off the pains. Not having pains under my breasts (left). We all think it is just gas and part of the recovery. My diet before surgery was not that great and had not been that way for a while. I am overweight(thanks thyroid), but working on it. Don't think it is my heart, I walk a lot and tolerate exercise very well. No shortness of breath. Pains can be a burning or sometimes bubbly. But don't last long and seem to go from one place to the next. Mostly left side. And again, there is the need to have a BM. I am starting a new job. I am wondering what your opinion is and what might be a good something to take? I have zantac and take it when needed and Tums. Could this be IBS?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:28 pm

User avatar Hi Littlesister1970,

Your symptoms could be due to IBS. Many of your symptoms tend to fit this, such as relief of pain with a bowel movement. It may also be uncontrolled gastritis or ulcers.

You may want to talk with your doctor about these possibilities. Ultimately, though, it may be very helpful for you to see a GI specialist if you are able.

|