Question: Gastroenteritis? Colitis? IBS? Ulcer? What is it?

Shipep - Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 pm

I'm 19 years old, male. About three weeks ago, I had a sort of attack where my right leg was feeling strange sensations and I was bloated and belching and just not feeling well.

Ever since then I've had days where I've had abdominal cramping/aching (not "pain" persay - but serious discomfort), losing my appetite, and having bad bathroom habits - small bits of stool, loose, easy to break apart, dark (but not dark as in blood), and sometimes string.

I would constantly feel the need to go to the bathroom and usually it would just be gas. I would also have some recurring feelings of weakness (malaise, as my doctor said - get to that later) especially in my right arm and right leg (perhaps because I have lower back discomfort sometimes too). I would also have something at the back of my throat all the time, and sometimes an acidy taste in my mouth (though it didnt behave completely like acid reflux).

This would be on and off. I would feel the symptoms one day, and then not the next, or one day and not that night.

I went to two doctors. One told me right off the bat it is probably gastroenteritis, and I should eat lighter foods but still normally, without doing any tests.

The second wasn't sure and did a blood test - which showed that I had no elevated white blood cell count, no liver, gall bladder, or kidney problems, and that it was unlikely to be H. Pylori bacteria (which he originally thought). He also tested my stool for pathogens and parasites, which both came out negative. He tested my urine too for some things, came out negative.

He concluded it is a virus and it will pass soon.

However, it is the end of the third week and I am still feeling symptoms though a little different.

My stool is now varying between full-blown diarhhea and very loose (easily broken apart). Sometimes it comes as small ball-like stools.

Lately now, after I eat, I feel lower abdomen pressure and bloating and I have a need to always go to the bathroom -- it is usually just gas. I feel constantly weak and tired.

My grandma, who had similar symptoms but in no way exact a few months before, told me it was possibly colitis, given the lower abdomen pressure and bathroom habits.

Also, the weeks before all this started I was eating A LOT of spicy foods and liquids, including lots of caffeine, which my have someone sparked this.

Any idea what this could be, how much longer it might take, and what I can do to help it more?
 Ropers33 - Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:21 am

Well, I don't know about your case completely but I have had an illness where my leg (strangely my right too) seizes up and feels weird as well as feeling sick.

I, according to my doctor, suffer from IBS. Your last comments made a bit of sense to me there.
My stomach aches, diarrhea and sometimes sick feeling are brought on by drinking coffee (even decaff), eating chocolate, icecream or spicy food.

However, I suffered with this for most of my life and I don't know if this would come on all of a sudden.

Good luck with finding out what it is. I hope things improve for you.

|