News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: excessive gas and stool

Anon - Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:55 pm

well I am 14 years old. My problem is that I have frequent gas and everyday I have to take a stool, which is abnormal in shape, dark colored sometimes, and hard. This problem started two years ago all of a sudden, so I know its not my diet, or is it? another thing I have realized is that after I take a stool the gas will become better and more normalized, except there will be constant activity in my small intestine, and when I push on it makes sounds like it is filled with water. I would go to my doctor but I don't really think he will know what it is. I'd rather know for myself first what it is. I went to him first and he gave me something called acidophilus with bifidus. now this has helped but still the problem persists. I have tried to go on a high fiber diet but that didn't help either. I would very much appreciate it if any of you could enlighten me or possibly offer any suggestions, because they will very very much be apprecited.

thanks,
anonymous
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:25 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

Certain types of foods produce large amounts of gas and stools such as legumes.

i don't think it is abnormal to have to go to the bathroom everyday because this can be your normal bowel habits.

It is an absolutely normal response to have fluid in your small intestine because this is what your intestine should contain.

You can start by a stool analysis to see whether there is any abnormality in your stools.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here