Question: excessive gas and stool

Anon - Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:55 pm

well I am 14 years old. My problem is that I have frequent gas and everyday I have to take a stool, which is abnormal in shape, dark colored sometimes, and hard. This problem started two years ago all of a sudden, so I know its not my diet, or is it? another thing I have realized is that after I take a stool the gas will become better and more normalized, except there will be constant activity in my small intestine, and when I push on it makes sounds like it is filled with water. I would go to my doctor but I don't really think he will know what it is. I'd rather know for myself first what it is. I went to him first and he gave me something called acidophilus with bifidus. now this has helped but still the problem persists. I have tried to go on a high fiber diet but that didn't help either. I would very much appreciate it if any of you could enlighten me or possibly offer any suggestions, because they will very very much be apprecited.

thanks,
anonymous
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:25 pm

User avatar Dear Guest,

Certain types of foods produce large amounts of gas and stools such as legumes.

i don't think it is abnormal to have to go to the bathroom everyday because this can be your normal bowel habits.

It is an absolutely normal response to have fluid in your small intestine because this is what your intestine should contain.

You can start by a stool analysis to see whether there is any abnormality in your stools.

|