News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: poor appitite...what stimulants RX are available???

btdawgh - Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:50 pm

34years old female..has FSH Muscular Dystrophy,
over last year or so has lost about 60 lbs because she would not eat..said food got stuck in throat. She has had swallow studies showing food does stick but it should not prevent eating..Doctors suggested feeding tube...but she wants to try appitite stimulants first to make her want to eat. What are they?
Also,dr's said her protein level is low...what is best source of good protein?Have been told rice mixed with beans is 'perfect protein'. What are some of the high calorie dense foods? I was told 'nuts'.
What could cause 'protein' levels to be so low?
Also,cortisol levels are low.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:13 pm

User avatar I am not familiar with FDA approved appetite stimulants that might be available over-the-counter. There may be something available by prescription but most of the ones you hear about are probably herbal in nature. I don't advise these because herbal supplements are not regulated and it is difficult to determine exactly what you may be getting. There are also bogus products out there that make claims that do not need to be substantiated because they are not regulated.

That being said, the best thing do do is, as you suggested, take foods that are nutrient and calorie rich. The beans and rice together make up a complete protein. Either plant source by itself is incomplete, but together they become a complete protein and are good nutrition. An animal protein such as meat is complete standing alone.

Proteins are important for building the body. Most important is a balanced diet which includes protein, carbohydrates (vegetables and beans fall in this category), grains, etc.

I would suggest more frequent meals because she can probably only tolerate so much at a sitting. Three meals a day can be quite limiting, so extra meals between can help. Whole grain breads and cereals, soups, and nuts are all good choices. Add peanut butter, wheat germ, non-fat dry milk and soy protein to other foods for added calories. If she can tolerate milk, give whole milk or ice cream, yogurt, pudding and cheese. Protein shakes can also increase calories.

It's hard to say why she has low protein except for possibly not eating enough protein in general due to the difficulty in swallowing.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
 btdawgh - Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:05 pm

just a note to say Thank You for answering my question....I am doing the best I can to get her to eat...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here