Question: Constipation, blood in stools for 9 months - 34 years old

johnunknown - Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:22 am

im a 34 year old male ive been diagnosed with severe depression im currently taking citalopram 60 mg
buspirone 60mg and trazodone 100 mg
my problem started about 9 months ago i was really constipated which was never a problem before that time. i was taking 300 mg of trazodone then. so i don't think that was the problem (never had a problem before on that amount)
anyways when i had a movement it hurt really bad and there was a little bit of blood on the stool and paper
my problem is 9 months later when i have a movement even though they are very narrow. sometimes its even wide on one edge and narrow width wise its still painful ive tried taking colace and exlax for more than 3 weeks
at a time and it would cause diarrhea but when i stopped taking it. the problem returns, my stools arent hard it even hurts at times when its almost like diarrhea but not quite that way
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar Hi Johnunknown,

There are a few possible things going on. First, sometimes when one has constipation for a prolonged time then begins having more soft or liquid stools it is because there is a stool impaction higher in the intestines and the more liquidy stool is leaking around it.

I am a little concerned about your description of narrow stools. This sometimes means there is a constriction of the colon causing the stool to be narrowed.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have a full evaluation and see if there are other medications that may be helpful for you.

|