Question: Stomach, digestion, and fatigue problems

Mgoblue201 - Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I am not sure of the proper forum for this question, but I thought it was prudent to post it here since the intestinal elements seem to be the most prominent. Sorry, this just seems the most expedient given my circumstances. I have a list of symptoms:

debilitating fatigue
brain fog, including impaired thinking and memorization functions
occasional insomnia
in order to begin functioning properly I require about 12 hours of sleep, any less I am not very well equipped to handle
irregular bowel movements (once, twice a week)
bloating and gas (sometimes I may burp for hours on end)
occasional nausea, usually under extreme stress
stomach cramps, usually when exercising
indigestion and mercurial stomach acid, gets worse with fatigue
horrible hunger pains on an empty stomach

Ancillary symptoms:

muscle pains (and tenderness after doing little in the way of exercise or work)
somewhat sensitive skin (for instance, the viscosity of my hand against the unopened metal cap of a pickle jar might hurt more than it should)
undue perspiration
occasional sharp pains in skin
coldness in extremities (issues with symmetrical heating throughout body, for instance, if hands are warm, then arms might be cold)
tingling (occasional sudden "bursts" that run throughout body like voltage)
numbness in extremities under stress
dryness and flaking, usually on my face, and dandruff (although my hands can actually get too oily)
whiteness on tongue (perhaps bad breath too, but I'm not certain)
mouth sores (milky sores along inside of mouth that crop up for weeks at a time, makes eating difficult, especially things like mustard and sauces)
huskiness in voice
social anxiety disorder
weird taste in mouth, like some sort of spray

First signs of this disease appeared around eight years ago, when I was 15, following no apparent cause. Doctor visits followed, then a colonoscopy, then X-rays, I’ve even taken quite a few supplements (L-Lysine, Mitotone) and vitamins my doctor affectionately called a “shotgun” effect in hopes of correcting this malfunction, but all of them have ended in the same disparaging results. The cause is not psychological, I can assure you, as I am very well aware of the impact of my mental health upon my physical body. There is not one mental or physical genesis I am aware of that could explain any of these symptoms. Gastroenterological issues came first. I was in high school at the time, and cross country and track both had to be axed because running became a painful experience with the rising nausea and cramping. My health fell into a state of dissolution after that. I began to miss classes, as sleep occupied more and more of my day. The sheer willpower involved in tearing myself away from sleep became very painful; it didn’t hurt in any physical sense, but it became such a strain on my body that I couldn’t handle it. I felt like I hadn’t slept in a week when I was getting eight hours of sleep regularly (even now it feels like I haven’t gotten a good night of sleep in over eight years, as I always wake up in some sort of lassitude). That experience made me and my family somewhat miserable for a time.

I'm 23 now (male), and I'm no closer to solving the mystery than I was back then. I am in and out of college, and I have been forced to take some classes online since attending school is more of a burden than I could handle. I would like to attend journalism school somewhere, perhaps a school like George Washington, but it would be impossible in my current state.

These past eight years have been very tough on me. I might call the prospects of attending school unstable at best, and it is nearly impossible to come by any manner of work that would suit such an illness as mine. Just the acts of walking and thinking tire me out. Not knowing the very thing that’s eating away at my core is like not having an identity or soul. People, they can identify with you if they have information that’s easily digestible. But it’s very isolating when people can’t come to any reconciliation of what is happening to me. Sometimes it results in a complete misunderstanding. I know what I want to do with my life, I just don’t know how to get there. So I have two issues: this is not a health concern that could be answered with anything but a series of inscrutable tests, so I am as much asking about how I should proceed and get myself examined. I am far too sick to work at the moment; people like me are expected to start at the bottom of the food chain and work hard to earn any rights of ascension, an obvious vulnerability of mine. And my parents certainly don’t have the money to send me to every doctor looking for answers. Is there anything I could do that would help me find some answers that would eventually benefit my health? I know that question is sort of vague and abstract, but I am without answers right now. Any help that could be given would make me very happy. These past eight years have been a long journey that I never wanted to go on, and while there is little I can give in return besides a thank you, I would be forever in debt to anyone who can help me recover my lost health.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:18 am

User avatar Hello Mgoblue201,

I am sorry to hear about all the suffering you have been through. However, I disagree with you that this is not psychogenic. Psychogenic conditions are diseases just like any other disease and may be caused by an imbalance in brain hormones or chemicals. The only way you can be assured that this is not psychological is if a psychiatrist excludes this.

Irritable bowel syndrome would account for many of your GI symptoms. After suffering for 8 years I do not expect any single disease to be able to account for all your symptoms and this is not the way we tend to make diagnoses in medicine.

Since you have spent a lot of time and money ruling out any organic cause for your condition, I think it is prudent to seek the opinion of a professional psychiatrist.

I wish you luck and please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
 kcfizzakc - Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:24 am

when i was in seven grade i start pulling my hairs. After that i started to swallow tiny bits of my hairs. Now when i do my ***** its very painfull and when i clean it tiny hairs come out of my shame .
Some times it bleed a little
help me i cant tell my parents about it please help

|