Question: Narrow Stools, High Uric Acid

super - Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:50 am

Sir,

I am a male and my age is 32.

I had gout attacks three times in the last 5 years. I was treated with allopurial/colchin/indomethacin by my doctors.
Once i was also diagnoised for fatty lever in a scan test. I was advice to change my food habits and become vegetarian. Now my liver profiles tests are normal for the last three years.

Last 18 months were free from any gout attacks and i stopped taking any medicine. I eat atleast an apple a day, I dirnk 3 liters of water also eat bread made off fibre rich wheat flour - I am having only vegetarian diet in the last one year.

But when i did a blood test some months back i found that my uric acid level is high [ 8.0 ], also in the last two months i started having narrow stools.

I went for a nature cure hospital and stayed about 14 days. There i did fasting and learned some yoga exersises. I also had a colon hydrotherapy [ two sessions ] and few other simple nature treatments.

Now my uric acid level has come down to 7.2, i have lost weight[ from 74 to 70] as well.

But my narrow stools have not become all right.
The color of the stools looks normal [ yellow or a bit darker yellow]. I have not seen blood in stools.

Usually In the monring i get about two/three times stools. Firat immediatly when i wake up and next after one or two hours. And during the rest of the day or night i pass for another two times. Every time a little or lot of narrow stools come out [ no pain or struggle to pass].

Kindly advice what can be my problem and what kind of a test i do to find out the root cause of my narrow stools, also please advice what kind[ specialist] of doctor i should approach for consultancy.

Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:19 am

User avatar Hi Super,

I would recommend you see your doctor for a referral to a GI specialist. With your history of gout it is likely that you have elevated uric acid levels at baseline. The thin stools are a little more concerning. Sometimes this occurs because the colon is being narrowed from a tumor.

An endoscopy may be needed to get a better idea of what is going on.

|