News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: gastroparensis caused by occupational exposure?

callum07 - Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:06 am

Hi, I'm a 32 year old female. I've been suffering from severe Dysphasgia and Odynophagia for 3-4 months. My doctor recently performed a upper endoscopy and diagnosed Gastroparesis and bile reflux. I have not been vomiting at all. I've had a barium swallow that showed no abnormalities, CT and MRI scans of my neck, also numerous blood tests, all normal. I have pre-existing Hashimoto's, and discoid lupus. This on-going illness was first diagnosed as a virus, than treated as a thyroid problem, yet all thyroid blood tests have been normal as well as an ultrasound of the thyroid indicated no nodules or abnormalities. I take Apri, Synthroid, Prilosec and my doctor recently has put me on Reglan. So far my symptoms haven't improved. My question is, over the past year, (I have only been working there for the past year) I've been frequently exposed to large amounts spray glue adhesive at my work. Is it at all possible that chemical exposure could have contributed to my current issues? I should add that while I have a history of autoimmune problems, no such history exists with my family. Family history: maternal grandmother had diabetes and died of heart disease. living mother and three brothers all healthy. Thank you any suggestions you may have.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:29 am

User avatar Hi Callum07,

It's possible that the exposure may be causing some problems although I don't think it is very likely to be the culprit. I'm not particularly familiar with this exposure risk, though.

I would suggest you talk with your local poison control. They are the toxin experts and will be able to give you some very good information regarding side effects of glue exposure. There number (in the USA) is 1-800-222-1222. This is a nation-wide number that will connect you to the nearest poison control.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here