Question: quite servere flatulence

paulj123 - Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:53 am

i am 19 years old and very active. i go to the gym 4 times a week as i am a professional cricketer.
for a few years now i have had quite bad wind so to say.
it doesn't really effect my day to day activities but im starting to worry that something may be wrong with me??
i heard that the average person breaks wind 8-20 times a day but i do so at least twice as many times as this.

please help me
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:20 am

User avatar Hi Paul,
This is certainly a frustrating and embarrassing problem. The formation of gas in the bowel is from normal bacteria that live in the bowel and thrive on the indigestible parts of our diet, typically certain carbohydrates and sugars. Diet changes can help reduce the amount of gas produced but people vary greatly in this - foods that do not affect one person will cause great distress to another.

In determining your particular offenders, do a strict elimination diet for 3 or 4 days in which you remove ALL of the typical gas producers. Then gradually add in one food at a time so you can see which foods are the problem.

Beans, milk, and milk products may be the worst offenders in causing gas. Other troublesome foods include onions, celery, carrots, raisins, apricots, prune juice, wheat products, and Brussels sprouts. But, these are not the only offenders. You can find more extensive lists of typical gas-producing foods.

Sometimes a food can be tolerated in smaller amounts (i.e. three glasses of milk daily may cause an individual excessive gas, but limiting it to one glass may be tolerable). Yogurt may be OK, even if regular milk is not.

In addition to this, you may find it helpful to take gas relieving medication such as simethicone. An enzyme supplement such as Beano may aid in the digestion of beans.

If you give this diligent dietary attention, you may be able to reduce the problem at least somewhat.

Good luck
 Embicactus - Wed May 27, 2009 10:23 pm

i also have a similar problem. Though i am on many medications, and bacteria to replace ones that are killed off. I also have to take a stool softener or else i will become constipated. Though the real issue is i must take my required pain medication or i would not be able to function. So i was wondering every day i wake up i go to work i eat a light breakfast i typically have a granola bar or something small. No dairy in the morning particular. Around noon for the rest of the day i pass gas regularly. I have a question concerning it since i am taking many pills to help replace bacteria and balance my system. Could there be a neurological cause? since the reason i have to take my meds is due to neurological damage.

Otherwise is there any way to help reduce my flatulence.

|