Question: black stool, stomach bloating and constipation/diarrhea

lilonething - Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:17 am

30, female, recent hymenectomy, black stool, stomach bloating and constipation/diarrhea.

I am nervous about my upcoming appointment to a specialist who is a 4th year resident in general surgery and colorectal surgery, according to the hospital info. When they called to tell me the referral had gone through they said it was for a "screening" appointment, which I assume is a consultation since I have never been to him before. What should I expect from this appointment? Will it be mainly information gathering? I am quite nervous and uncomfortable about having anything inserted in my behind...is this something that you just see on movies, or would he actually have to look up there in a preliminary appointment, when I'm not sedated? Do I need to do anything to prepare for this appointment? I'm embarrassed enough already, but now I've found out that the doctor I'm seeing is not much older then I am. I know he will be very professional, but I still feel that it will be even more awkward for me, knowing he only a few years older then I am. I was hoping for a really old guy or a woman...
Knowing exactly what to expect of the appointment will hopefully alleviate some of my nervousness.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 pm

User avatar Hi Lilonething,

Usually the first visit, the "screening" visit, is a time for you to meet the doctor and the doctor to review your records, get your history and do an examination. In your case, the exam will likely be very limited. I would not expect any endoscopy being done, especially while not sedated.

During this visit you'll likely discuss the needed procedures and the risks/benefits of doing it. At that point, if you decide to proceed, the procedure will still need to be scheduled.

Best wishes. I'm sure your doctor will be nothing but professional.
 lilonething - Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Thanks so much for your time. I appreciate your service.

What does the examination consist of (lets assume it's quite limited...what does that involve)? That's the part I'm most worried about. Will he want to look at my backside or will he just listen to what I have to say and check blood pressure or something like that?

I think I'm chickening out. Since it has been almost two months since I last had the black BM's, I wonder if whatever was wrong is gone now and I needn't subject myself to this. The other issues are things I have been dealing with my whole life and I can live with. It's only the black stool that is new and it's gone now. Is it possible for a stomach bug to give tar black stool on occasion?
 lilonething - Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:20 am

Sorry, one more thing. I should mention that the reason I'm worried about the exam is simply because of long term itchiness and bleeding in that area (just when I tear, it bleeds small amounts of fresh blood). This has been happening for years and I'm not worried about it but I'm wondering if that is something that he will want to look at my backside for, during the initial exam?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:39 pm

User avatar Most likely he'll just get your vital signs and probably listen to your heart/lungs. He'll probably also palpate your liver and spleen (by pressing on your abdomen).

It is possible that he will want to examine you more but he may also just want to wait until time for the endoscopy.

|