News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Small amount of blood found on toilet paper

carsim21 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am

Should I be alarmed? I found a very small amount of blood this morning after I wiped. The blood looked like scrapes and was bright in colour. I assumed it was because the bowel movement wasn't as soft as usual, and that is why the blood appeared. I have had this happen to me before, about 2 months ago. I was constipated at the time, and I really strained myself. I just don't want to brush this off and assume it's just my low fibre diet. I want to make sure that that's the case, and not something serious. I'm 21 years old, female and my diet isn't the best. I try to eat healthy but when you're a student and on a low budget it's hard to keep healthy. Any suggestions as to what is causing the bleeding? Or am I right on the money?

P.s I don't have any abdominal pain and the area around my anus doesn't hurt either.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:49 pm

User avatar I believe you are on the right track. Tiny tears can occur in the rectum and around the anus, especially with straining. Of course it is alarming but usually very benign. If this continues or gets worse, of course you should see a doctor, but meanwhile, concentrate on reducing the constipation.

Drink lots of water, eat high fiber foods and consider taking a supplement for fiber such as Citracel or Metamucil, Benefiber, Fiber-con, etc. Get plenty of exercise, allow lots of chamber time when you can relax and allow nature to take it's course unhurried. Even though you are busy, eating fresh fruits and vegetables can make a big difference and eating them raw is not hard to do even in a time crunch.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here