Question: Small amount of blood found on toilet paper

carsim21 - Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am

Should I be alarmed? I found a very small amount of blood this morning after I wiped. The blood looked like scrapes and was bright in colour. I assumed it was because the bowel movement wasn't as soft as usual, and that is why the blood appeared. I have had this happen to me before, about 2 months ago. I was constipated at the time, and I really strained myself. I just don't want to brush this off and assume it's just my low fibre diet. I want to make sure that that's the case, and not something serious. I'm 21 years old, female and my diet isn't the best. I try to eat healthy but when you're a student and on a low budget it's hard to keep healthy. Any suggestions as to what is causing the bleeding? Or am I right on the money?

P.s I don't have any abdominal pain and the area around my anus doesn't hurt either.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:49 pm

User avatar I believe you are on the right track. Tiny tears can occur in the rectum and around the anus, especially with straining. Of course it is alarming but usually very benign. If this continues or gets worse, of course you should see a doctor, but meanwhile, concentrate on reducing the constipation.

Drink lots of water, eat high fiber foods and consider taking a supplement for fiber such as Citracel or Metamucil, Benefiber, Fiber-con, etc. Get plenty of exercise, allow lots of chamber time when you can relax and allow nature to take it's course unhurried. Even though you are busy, eating fresh fruits and vegetables can make a big difference and eating them raw is not hard to do even in a time crunch.

|