News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Rapid transit and low PH no energy

darkestdays30 - Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:14 pm

I had some blood work done that showed I had low amylase & lipase. Followed by a 24-hr stool showing increase in split fecal fat. Started using digestive enzymes: energy came back (until I was switched to prescription enzymes), rapid transit slowed, reflux problems improved. Had a 72-hr stool and it came back normal. Not that I can understand how you can properly digest anything when you have to go to the bathroom while you are eating or right after. I also had a gastroscopy and where I started using digestive enzymes in place of the reflux pills, my barrett's went away & gastritis cleared up. I ordered a digestive function test to see if it would indicate what the problem was and the only things wrong was my cholesterol being in higher range than normal, and PH being too low.

symptoms: no energy, rapid transit (going on for many years), abdominal pain worsening from eating, nausea, indigestion, gas

I know that even though I don't have fat malabsorption, I still do not digest my food properly. And I believe this is why I am always so tired. The majority of what I eat are foods high in carbohydrates and sugar, especially from breads. I have never been able to tolerate foods really high in sweets like cakes and such without it making me sick.

What types of problems can cause rapid transit time? I think the low PH can indicate carbohydrate maldigestion or lactoce intolerance. Would there be any point in testing this since my 72-hour fecal fat was normal? Where your body gets part of it's energy from starches, could that cause a very low energy level if you had a digestion problem from absorping carbohydrates? Or could the rapid transit itself cause it?

I passed a piece of a kidney stone last night and I think ongoing problems with that may be making me sick when I eat & making it seem like my gastrointestinal problems are worse than they actually are. I hurt really bad in my left side and I think that's why.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:18 pm

User avatar Hi Darkestdays30,

Testing for things such as lactose intolerance is certainly reasonable, even though your 72 hour fecal fat was normal. Lactose and carbohydrates are in a separate pathway that would not affect fecal fat, typically.

Regarding the rapid passage of contents through your GI tract, generally when this is occurring it is because there is something in the GI tract that is irritating it so the goal is to get it out as quickly as possible. This would support a maldigestive type of an issue. Maldigestion can most definitely affect energy level as well.

If the previous enzymes were helping better than your current ones I would recommend you discuss with your doctor about going back to the other ones.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here