News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Do I need colonoscopy?

countrygirl - Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Nearly a year ago I started to get strange abdominal sensation in abdomen only when I layed down in bed at night - like a baby kicking its way round anywhere from round tummy button to down side of hips. I also seemed to pass alot of wind. It wasn't painful just weird enough to stop me sleeping. I am female and 46 yrs old. I also have severe spinal problems.

I had the following tests

ultrasound of aorta = normal
abdo and pelvic ultrasound - normal except for known long standing small gallstones no complications
extensive blood tests = normal no anaemia , liver and kidneys normal
Complete stool anaylsis = normal
Fecal Occult blood tests = negative
Sigmoidoscopy = normal - no polyps

These weird sensation episodes come and go having them for a few nights then not for months.

Consultant said IBS and as long as I don't have any complication can keep gallbladder.

I then saw another consultant and he said I could have barium enema but I didn't want the radiation dosage so he said colonoscopy not because I have any symptoms of colon cancer but just that they do this for everyone with bowel issues!

I have always had sensitive bowel it is normal for me to have loose bowel motions up to three times in morning then later at night I get what looks like rabbit droppings but have been like this for past 15 years.

Last week I underwent gyny proceedure under general anaethesia and due to the handling under anaethesia my already damaged spine has reacted terribly and I am in exteme pain and waiting to see the neurosurgeon to find out what had been done to my neck.

I have postponed the colonoscopy due to the spinal issue due to the sedation needed and what damage could be done but I am wondering if I really need to have the colonoscopy. My GP says every colon cancer sufferer he has seen has had positive occult blood test and been aneamic.

Is there any other test that could be done that does not require sedation so I am in control of my spine but does not give such massive doses of radiation as a barium enema does??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:03 pm

User avatar Hi Countrygirl,

I think that a colonoscopy will actually be helpful, more helpful than a barium enema. A colonoscopy will give a direct look at the lining of the GI tract and allow biopsies to see if there is anything going on.

There really isn't another test that will give as much information.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here