Question: reg gas

jigyasa65 - Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:39 am

Dear Doctor
As in my last query, I have mentioned about my endoscopy done for the UGI for possible GERD, but all reports were quite normal.Further As I Have been diagnosed anal fissure by a surgeon, but with proper medication as suggested by surgeon, it in improving now. My other problem stands still i.e. I don't have constipation, though with a regular toilet habbit, my abdomen does not get emptied in a single go. As a result of this, throughout the day, continuos bloating persists in my abdomen region that results in gas formation and it becomes difficult for me to drink even simple water as I feel nausea for few minutes. Kindly advise me what should I do so that I should be satisfied in a single toilet habbit means I should go for bowel movement only once. What is other reason for this even I take restricted diet. I am having controlled hypertensive case and take
losacar 25 OD (losartan potassium salt)
tenormin 50 OD (atenol salt)
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:38 am

User avatar Dear jigyasa65,

Thank you very much for the update.

Gas does not get emptied at once when you have a bowel movement because it is being continuously formed within your gastrointestinal tract.

Excess gas can be caused by gas forming foods such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower, legumes (like beans, peas and lentils), grains, cereals, nuts, seeds, whole-grain breads and spices that are known to produce a large amount of gas.

If you are eating any of these food that are known to produce a large amount of gas, you will have a large amount of gas and this is a continuous process, so you will be having gas. Your problem sounds more like bloating and distention. There are several products that are used to control bloating secondary to gas by trying to decrease gas formation.

i am not familiar with the drug names in India so, i will give the chemical name of a drug used here in the United States that i am more familiar with, its name is simethicone. There are other several herbal products that contain natural enzymes that are claimed to help prevent gas before it starts forming by breaking down the complex sugars in those gassy foods so they are more digestible. Like i said, i am not familiar with the available supplements in India, so i will leave this to you to ask your doctor about.

jigyasa65 - Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 am

Dear Doctor
Thanks for your last reply. You have mentioned chemical name i.e. Simethicone , In India NEODOM,NV_SPAM tablets is having this composition. Right Now, Doctor has prescribed the following medicines for a period of one month

1) PAN 40 ( Pantoprazole ) - OD to be taken early in the morning
2) Domstal ( Domperidone tablets 10 mg ) - TDS

Please suggest me with the above medication my problem of persistant nausea will be cured. This feeling persists even after consuming simple water or even with slightly cold water. Please suggest otherwise. results of endoscopy for UGI for possible GERD are quite normal. I am very much concerned with nausea feelings.

Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:22 pm

User avatar Dear jigyasa65,

Thank you very much for the update.

The medications that you are getting, pantoprazole is to block acid secretion and domperidone is for increasing motility of the gastrointestinal tract. The domperidone is most probably the one that your doctor is using for nausea. There are other medications that can be used for nausea. i am not familiar with the medications in india but there are other medications that can used for nausea that i can give you their chemical names so that if the domperidone does not work, may be your doctor will be willing to try them. Prochloperazine, promethazine and metoclopromide are the 3 most commonly used in nausea which is not caused by chemotherapy.

|