Question: Endoscopy and Colonosopy at the same time: questions

lilonething - Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:25 pm

I went to the specialist and he said he wants to do a scope from above and below at the same time. I am nervous around doctors and couldn't think of questions when he asked me if I had any. The only thing I asked was if I would be asleep and he said no but I would be sedated and given a narcotic. Now that I'm away from the hospital, I have questions...of course.

1. will these be done at exactly the same time? Or will they do one and then the other right after? I don't think I could handle having a tube up and down at exactly the same time. If I was in pain, I couldn't tell them! I have a fear of tubes down my throat (not being able to breathe, or feeling like I was choking, or being in pain and not being able to tell anyone). Why do they not put you under for these procedures? What if I panic and cause them to tear something?

2. do they tell you about any findings on the day of the procedure. I know if they do biopsies, they won't have results, but do they tell you what they did or didn't see? Do patients usually get to see a copy of the notes?

3. I react to some narcotics (codeine and morphine) by vomiting very badly and I have passed out. He said I shouldn't worry because this one (starts with a T, but I can't remember the name) was very fast acting and wears off quickly. Do you have any idea what it might be? I know I haven't been much help.

4. The stuff they give you to drink to cleanse the system is 4L worth of liquid. I am only child sized and weigh 83 pounds. Should I be taking the same amount as regular sized adults?

Thanks you for all your help! Your time is valuable and what you give is appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 pm

User avatar Hi Lilonething,

These are very good questions. I've posted the answers numerically to correspond with your questions:

1) They will do one procedure followed by the other. The procedures are actually very quick so the risks of doing them under general anesthesia isn't worth it. The medicine they will give you will make you very relaxed so you won't have any trouble with the procedures. The medicine will also block your memory during the procedure so that you won't remember it.

2) Generally the doctor will discuss the findings that were seen shortly after the procedure, after the medicines have resolved. Biopsies will likely be taken as well. These will take a little while to return.

3) I think that the narcotic they are planning to use is likely to be Fentanyl. It is a fast acting, synthetic narcotic. Typically it causes less of the nausea and reactions that morphine can cause but there is a small possibility of these things happening with fentanyl also.

4) This would still be an appropriate amount for you. It's a lot but it is important to clean the colon well so the colonoscopy is more effective.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

|